About the Andrew Carnegie Library at Livingstone College

The original library at Livingstone College used rooms added to Huntington Hall in 1883 especially for a library. Three thousand volumes were listed in the catalog in 1884-85. In 1890, Reverend A.J.F. Behrends donated $1,000.00 for a collection of new books for the library to be called “The Central Library”.

The Andrew Carnegie Library at Livingstone College was dedicated in 1908. Andrew Carnegie, a benefactor of libraries throughout the country, donated funds in 1905 for the construction of the first library building at Livingstone College. The appeal for the $12,500.00 donation was made by Dr. Booker T. Washington, Dr. W.H. Goler (Livingstone College President), and Bishop George W. Clinton of the A.M.E. Zion Church. Bricks for the erection of the building were made on the campus. The library was completed in 1908 and named the Andrew Carnegie Library. Sizable additions have been made to the library that now houses more than 65,000 volumes.

 

Mr. Carnegie was born in 1837 in Dunfemline, Scotland. He was an American industrialist and philanthropist. Mr. Carnegie died in 1919 at the age of 84. He is buried in a cemetery in Sleepy Hollow, New York.

Andrew Carnegie Library Team
20200217_135033~4.jpg
IMG_1878.jpg
Mrs. Laura A. Johnson

Director of  Library Services

 

Mr. Greg Hill
Mr. Kim Allman

Circulation Librarian

Master's Library and Information Studies UNCG

 

Cataloging/Systems and Information Librarian

Master's Library and Information Studies UNCG

Ms. Joan Hill

Reference Librarian

Master's Library and Information Studies UNCG

 

Mr. Obadiah Johnson

Technical Services Manager

 

© 2023 by Andrew Carnegie Library at Livingstone College. Proudly created with Wix.com

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now